Friday, September 21, 2007

so far



these are ink drawings on found and salvaged boards. the drawings are all discarded objects from the sidewalk, some drawn in situ and some without context. the large one in the middle is my favorite, the one with the drawers stacked on the chair. we brought home the drawers in a dresser as they are often found. josh took the drawers out for some reason and stacked them on that chair (another salvage piece from a different time). the smell rising from them was a warm woody earthy mildewy smell mixed with a light perfume. the smell transported me to my grandmother's house in london, visiting for the first time when i was eight. my grandmother has completely lost her memory now so any memory of her hits me particularly hard. the precariousness of the stack also reminds me of time and life and loss. so that picture is called Ruth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home